Saturday, March 22, 2008

My Rox

Roxzee is my 12 year old rot. She lives with my Mom and Dad. We got her when I was 12. I begged and begged my Dad for a Rot. I wanted one so bad. I made a rot picture collage with all the pics of Rot's that I could find in my Dog Fancy magazine (yes, I had a subscription to Dog Fancy) and had it in my room. Every time my Dad would drive me to confirmation class I would start this entire conversation with him that we should get a Rot for me to run with and name it Mitch. So finally we found an ad in the paper for rot puppies and took my Mom to "just look" at them and we came home with Roxzee, we didn't even name her Mitch. She was such a good puppy and still is such a good dog. My Dad wanted her to go through obedience classes and I got to be the one to do it. She became my jogging buddy, I even tried riding my bike with her but she pulled me through the neighbor’s yards every time. Anywhere you are Rox is. She loves people and attention. She is the MOST loving dog and loves her "babies" (those dog stuffed animals). Well poor Rox isn't doing to well - she is having a hard time walking and getting around. We took her in and turns out she has 3 really bad knees, they think she may have a bone cancer tumor on one. Needless to say the prognosis isn't good and there really isn't anything that they can do for her. They gave her steroids and morphine to help her be comfortable. The vet thinks we should spoil her like heck this weekend and take her in next week to put her to sleep. ACk! Double Ack! So, I being the eternal optimist think by some miracle she can at least make it another summer with this medicine. The vet says at most she might be in not such horrible pain for at most a month if we are lucky. So I am snuggling her to death and giving her lots and lots of treats. It just doesn't feel right to put her down when she is ok other than not being able to get around. It sucks seeing her struggle to get up, I know but I am selfish and want her forever. So I have been pretty sad and crying on and off this weekend. For those dog lovers out there - you understand they are your family too. I put together a movie for Roxzee at 3 am when I couldn't sleep, enjoy!

No comments: