Wednesday, June 3, 2009

What I am pondering...

Organic, paraben free, phthalate free products especially baby care products, seems to be a buzz lately. It was first brought to my attention by Amy, Nick's cousin. After she had mentioned it I started researching and at the time I felt overwhelmed with all the info I found, so kept it in the back of my mind. This week I found a great site: Safe MaMa which got me thinking about it again. Brooklynn's skin is really sensitive. We have been using the Johnson and Johnson or store like brands and she does ok. However she ALWAYS has a bunch of small patches of eczema all over her arms, legs, butt and back. She tends to scratch and scratch these areas which get inflamed and sometimes bleed. I have read that the California Baby baby products prevent and heal eczema. The problem is it is EXPENSIVE and I am FRUGAL!!!
There may be hope - over the weekend my Aunt Lynn brought to my attention foam soap dispensers. She bought a couple and has used them for her dish soap, hand soap, bath and shampoos. It has allowed her to only go through one container of Dawn in a year. THAT IS AMAZING!! It has tripled and quadrupled the time that her hand soaps and shampoos last. I found a great site that has these foam dispensers super cheap - they are like the one’s pampered chef sells but are for under $2 a dispenser(instead of $13 for one). Here is the link: Foam Dispensers

I have read you only put one part soap to 5 – 6 parts water in the foam dispensers. I am totally going to use the dispensers for our dish soap, hand soaps and body washes to save $$$. Since I found a way for bath soaps to last, I figure I can try the safe baby products, since a little can go a long way.

Here is what I am going to try. I am going to get Brooklynn the California Baby or Burts Bees line of "SAFE" baby products. I will try it with the foam dispenser to make it last longer. I will see if it makes a difference with her skin. I am also trying the Burts Bees body wash and lotion on me. I have red bumps on my upper arms that showed up really bad after I had Brooklyn. I have tried everything to get rid of them and nothing works. I have read that it can be an allergy to soaps. I will make sure to report back with my findings.
Here is a link to a great cheat sheet at safemama.com about bath products. Safe baby Products Cheat Sheet
It is scary when you start researching it.... Ok off to Target so we can start today. ( They carry the Burts Bees and California Baby line along with other safe baby products.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ella's skin is also sensitive, not sure if it is eczema or not, but my pediatrician had recommended that Burt's Bees Wax stuff. I started off by using an Aveeno cream for severely dry skin (even eczema) for Ella since it was half the price of Burt's and for Ella it works. But thought you would want to know our pediatrician recommends Burt's.