Wednesday, May 14, 2008

It's Lemon-licious


The lemon coffee cake was very good. Everyone seemed to like it (or didn’t have the heart to tell me it wasn’t good). Only thing I am changing, if I ever get bit by the Martha bug again, will be too leave out the slices of lemons in the cake. Instead I will just add some lemon juice to the cake batter. The slices with the rinds were weird in the middle of the cake and too tart for my taste. I guess I am not used to "gourmet".

On another baking note… I am on a mission to find finger food that I can make for Brooklynn that are healthful. She LOVES the Gerber graduate raviolis, but I can not feed those to her every night. After scrounging through some books I found a recipe for chicken & apple meatballs. I of course adapted it to be Italian chicken and carrot meatballs. Let’s just say it took a while but after they were done… SUCCESS! Brooklynn loved them and gobbled them up! I have been trying to get her to eat veggies and she gags and will spit them out. But not these hidden carrots, she didn’t even know they were there. Ha Ha.. I knew I could trick her. I am so excited and have all these ideas on other things I am going to try for her. The great thing about these meatballs is they will travel just as easy as the Gerber raviolis. So if anyone else has any healthful finger food ideas I would love to hear them so that I could add them to our “menu”

Here is the recipe for the Italian Chicken & Carrot Meatballs:
2 raw chicken breasts
Steamed carrots
¼ C parmesan cheese
Italian Seasoning
¼ C Italian bread crumbs
¼ onion chopped fine
1 egg beaten
garlic powder
pepper

In a food processor puree the chicken and carrots. Mix together all ingredients ( I mixed all ingredients in the food processor). Roll meatball mixture into small meatballs and roll in flour. Shallow fry them in a pan of hot olive oil until golden brown. If you need to cook them further cook in the oven.

They were actually pretty good, I even liked them.

2 comments:

Renee said...

Have you looked in your Deceptively Delicious cook book?

Ruchell said...

Yes - I am going to try the pancakes. have you tried any of the recipes in there?